Sunday, May 17, 2015

Unattached

"Flowers"

By: Andy Warhol

Silkscreen ink and acrylic on canvas

1965







Subjective Critique 

My first impression were "thats it?". Pop Art is suppose to have bright colors of such that blasts off different emotions. The image is rather plain for it to be categorize as Pop Art. The background doesn't help the foreground standout as it should and also the color choice of these flowers are boring. I would immediate change the background color into something more playful. The colors of the two flowers would be filled with a bunch of warm colors and not just a plain solid color.

Objective Critique

In "Flowers" Warhol chooses to showcase two flowers identical to each other in which the differences lies within the color. With a dark background, the flowers are more easily noticeable as the subject matter. He subjected himself into using warm solid colors with no variation indicated. In the composition, the rule of third is applied. Each of the flower's residential space within the image just about matches the requirement. By making the background dark, contrast is developed through the usage of the colored flowers.

Work in Progress


Compare & Contrast














I retain the same two flowers and I also kept their placement just about the same. Differences lies within the colors. I added more variation with both of the flowers. Also I wanted to leave the background just plain white instead of having the whole thing completely dark. I only applied it towards the bottom of the canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment